Let’s talk about some great free WordPress popup plugins and how can they change your website into a marketing machine if done right.
One of the best ways of making a website successful is by increasing user engagements – letting your visitor perform different actions and on your website. Out of many user engagement and conversion tools, popup banners are one of the most effective ones. Be it any offers, deals or launch of a new product or a regular way of collecting email subscribers – a well-presented popup does it well. However, popups are sometimes very irritating and bad if not used well.
Here are some of the tips on how to use popup in an effective way on your WordPress website:
- Focus on your offer/content: if your offer/content is irresistible, nothing else can beat. So work on it first.
- Design: design your popup according to your objective. Use clear CTA and graphics to communicate quickly with few write-up.
- Delay: don’t display the popup right after the website/web page loads, display it only after sometime, so that your website visitor starts looking at the content. Displaying a popup right after the web page loads – is like offering a glass of water right at the door! Relax and take some time.
- Customize: you can always customize the plugin and its content to show based on location and audience for better conversion rates.
- Easy option to escape: always offer your visitor an option to escape/cancel the popup action, if they don’t like. Don’t force them.
What is the main use of popup banners on your website?
- Email Opt-in: one of the best use of website popup is to have your visitors convert into subscribers. The more email subscribers you have the more marketing reach you’ll have for your business. So a well designed and effective popup for your website can help on this.
- Social media follow: to increase your social media fan base, you can use well-designed popups. Users can like/follow your social media profiles before they enter the website or read the content.
- Promote offers/deals: the best way to offer deals, promote your new products etc is via popups.
- Contact forms: you can also have contact forms to let your visitors easy way to contact you.
- Login and authentication: social login, website login and any other login/authentication related feature eg. member area login, customer area login etc can also be placed in popups.
- Exit polls: one of the interesting use of popup can be for the exit polls or exit message!
Best Free Popup Plugins for WordPress
Now, let’s take a look at some of the best free popup plugins, I’ve personally handpicked and tested these and presented here for you! Let’s get started:
WP Popup Lite is a free WordPress popup plugin that allows you to create multiple popup banners for your website and engage them with your visitors. It comes with 13 beautifully designed inbuilt themes from where you can create unlimited image and text popup banners. The plugin also gives you an option for separate setting to each of the popups you have created. You are allowed to have your banner popped up on your whole website or on certain pages. Besides that, you can also enable/disable popups as per your need.
Moreover, the popups created by the plugin are fully responsive and looks great for all kinds of devices. You can use the created popup for email subscriptions, promote newly launch products, special offers, discounts, etc.
Some of the major features of WP Popup Lite
- 13 Elegant Template Layouts
- Unlimited Number of Popup Banners
- Custom Popup Themes
- MailChimp Integration
- Contact Form Log
- Translation Ready
Popup Maker is one of the best free WordPress popup plugin. It is extremely versatile and flexible. The plugin allows you to create an unlimited number of the popup on your WordPress site. The popup banners created by the plugin are highly customizable. You can customize almost every places of the popup created by the plugin from its position to targeting and cookie. Besides that, the responsive popup created by the plugin can be enabled/disable to the mobile devices.
Moreover, the plugin has a very high configuration option to create the banners. The configuration options include slide out, banner bars, floating sticky, loading screens, video lightboxes etc. It also comes with theme editor option which allows you to choose from over 60 options and themes for every element presents on the popup.
Some of the Major Features of Popup Maker
- Unlimited Popups and Themes
- Fully Responsive Popups
- Visual Theme Builder
- Multiple Trigger Types
- Theme Editor Option
- Popup Analytics
This plugin also has a premium version with more features available on their website for $15. Get it here.
Popup Builder is a free WordPress popup plugin that allows you to create and manage powerful popup for your WordPress blog/website. It is an easy to use plugin that will help you to grab your audience’s attention and introduce them your offers, discounts or other kinds of notices.
The plugin allows you to add an unlimited number of highly customizable popup banners on your WordPress website using shortcodes. There are separate settings panel for each popup. So, you can fully customize the popup theme color, size, and other options.
Some of the Major Features of Popup Builder
- Create and Manage Unlimited Popups
- Custom Animation Popup Effects
- Option between Several Popup Themes
- Set Popup Location on Different Part of the Screen
- Option to Change Popup Content Background Color
- Custom Class for Popup Overlay and Content
This plugin also has a premium version with more features available on their website for $15. Get it here!
CM Pop-Up Banners is a free WordPress banner plugin that lets the user customize and promote events, products and offers on a WordPress site.
The users can create a responsive banner across the whole website or on the specific pages. The advertisement of the upcoming specials can be placed in the middle or bottom of the page. Besides that, the plugin is an excellent tool that boosts your email and creates highly customizable popups.
Some of the Major Features of CM Pop-Up Banners
- Ability to Add Infinite Number of Popup
- Clickable Image Popup Banners
- Various Popup Display Settings
- Popup Triggers
- Advanced Show Effects and Delay Timings
- Statistical Reports for Impressions and Clicks
This plugin also has a premium version with more features available on their website for $29. Get it here!
Random Banner is a free WordPress popup plugin that provides the user with a high level and flexible image banner. Beside image banners, the plugin also supports SWF banners and script advertisements. You can display the banners created by the plugin in random order anywhere on the screen.
The plugin allows you to create an infinite number of banners. The banners created can be enabled/disabled as per the user wish. The created banner can also be sorted and filtered by the filter option.
Some of the Major Features of Random Banner
- SWF and Script Advertisement Supported
- Banner Location can be Placed Anywhere
- Enable/Disable Random Banners Display Mode
- Option to Add Custom Banner Title
- Various Categories of the Banners
This plugin also has a premium version with more features available on their website for $30. Get it here!
So, I tried to write up about how can you make an effective popup banners and how can popup banners be used on your website. Then I presented you some of the handpicked and well-tested popup plugins that helps you create a beautiful popup on your website.
Hope, the collection is useful to you and you can start using one of them right now! If you are already a user of any of the above-mentioned plugins, please share your experience in the comment box below.
Also, if you’re looking for some premium version popup plugins – check this out: WP Popup Banners Pro